Words that drain your credibilityAug 17, 2023
Here’s another post on words to use and words to lose.
Though these phrases and filler words may seem insignificant, frequent use can cause others to question your credibility.
- “Um…” Suggests you are unsure of what to say next.
- “In all honesty…” Why raise the possibility you’re not honest?
- “Sort of…” Can leave listeners feeling unsure about your message
- “Just…” Minimizes your statement and can make it feel less important
- “Like…” You know, like, how many times do your kids, like, say like?
- “I’m no expert, but…” So why say anything?
- “I’ll try…” Remember what Yoda said.
- “I’m sorry, but…” Only say it if you really are.
- “Did that make sense?” Signals you think you’re not sure of yourself.
You can train yourself to simply pause and gather your thoughts, so the words you do use have more impact.
Can’t do it? Try tapping your leg every time you use a filler word. You’ll soon break the habit.
Subscribe to the Daily 2 Minute Communication Tip
No spam, but we will tell you about upcoming workshops.